How do we do this? We talk to the Father. We listen more. We open our eyes wider. We place ourselves in the middle of the mess. We follow Jesus into the places He wants to take us. Here’s a short list of practical ways to be present in the midst of others’ pain:
· Help someone with an event or task.
· Send an encouraging text, card, or email.
· Pay for someone’s groceries or a bill.
· Give someone another chance.
· Give a free lesson or tutor.
· Show up for their biggest moments.
· Foster a child.
· Serve at our church’s outreach events like Serve Day, Food Pantry, etc.
· Be part of a Small Group or Freedom Group.
· Find a serving team such as ushers, East Coast Kids, Worship, or Production Team.
· Share your story of struggle and how God brought you through it to victory.
Father, I want to be like You in the way I see and respond to the needs of others. Help me peel my eyes away from my own struggles to see who else is struggling around me and is in a time of trouble. Show me how I can express Your heart and be Your help to them in a practical way. I want to be more present and aware of others’ situations, and I want them to give You the glory for the help I am able to give them. Lead me, Jesus, to the one You are after today. In Your name, amen.